In honor of Mother's Day and to give you some ideas for the new mom (and not so new mom as well), I put together 25 gifts a new mom will love. Most of these links will bring you to a page with lots of choices. I have included a few specific recommendations as well. (post contains affiliate links).
25 Gifts A New Mom Will Love
(For the Kitchen)
- Kitchen Utensil Set -This is an inexpensive way to buy a combination of essential kitchen tools such as a can opener, pizza cutter, knife sharpener, tea strainer, spatulas, slotted spoons, pasta forks, wire whisks, and more. Buying a holder for the saves drawer space and makes it more convenient to access the tools when you need them.
- Cutting Board Set -Ideally cutting boards should be separated by type of food. In food service, health code regulations require a red board for meat, a green board for vegetables, a blue board for seafood, and a white for other all purpose uses such as cutting bread.
- Set of knives – Everyone can use a good set of knives. The link will give you lots of ideas.
- Spice Rack Organizer – If your mom already has spices in stock, then this will be a helpful organization tool.
- Food Storage Container Set – Practical gift. There are stackable options available which make storage easier, especially in tight spaces.
- Hand Immersion Blender – I love to use my KitchenAid hand immersion blender for my smoothies in the morning and to puree vegetables and soups. This will make it super easy to make fresh, pureed baby food as well. It's portable, easy to clean, and perfect for small recipes and quick work. I just recently bought the KitchenAid one because my other one stopped working. This one works better and does more. For example, I wasn't able to puree anything hot in the other blender because it would splatter everywhere. This blender has a closed container so you don't have that problem.
- Hand or Stand Mixer – Everyone needs one of these. The Kitchen Aid mixers are cool because there are attachments you can add. For example, I just bought my husband a slicer grater attachment for our anniversary, and he loves it. It's super fast and easy to grate cheese and shred carrots, potatoes and other vegetables. He hasn't used the slicer yet, but it will be perfect for slicing potatoes for potatoes au gratin. You can also dry your own bread and make bread crumbs with it.
- Mixing Bowl Set– Mixers usually come with at least one. However, different size mixing bowls are really handy to have in the kitchen. For example, when I bake banana bread, I use a separate bowl for the wet ingredients, and two bowls to prepare the dry ingredients.
- Bakeware Set – Metal Bakeware sets usually consist of muffin pans, cookie sheets, a loaf pan, and cake pans. Other bakeware sets are glass or stoneware. One of my favorite bakeware sets is the French White CorningWare round and oval set with lids. One of the reasons I like it is because it's so pretty. You can take the item straight from the oven and serve it. Also, CorningWare is so easy to clean! It stays white forever. In addition, this set has never chipped despite years of use.
- Instant Pot or Crock Pot – I love using a crock pot because I usually have more energy in the morning. Plus, the obvious, you can leave it and not worry about it, and you have dinner ready at night. I recently received an Instant Pot and I love it even more! We have used it to make cranberry sauce, rice, roast beef, and pinto beans, just to name a few dishes. Our rice cooker just stopped working. So the timing was perfect. White rice cooks in less than 15 minutes and tastes just as delicious. Make sure that if you buy the Instant Pot, you buy the one with the pressure cooker setting, because they don't all have this option.
- Instant Pot Accessory Kit – If mom already has an Instant Pot, there are lots of useful accessories that will make Instant Pot even more versatile.
- Magnetic Safety Locks – These are handy for keeping little ones out of the cupboards.
- Kitchen Shears – An absolutely essential item. Uses include opening food packages, cutting meat into smaller pieces, trimming fruit, cutting cooked spaghetti, and more.
- Kitchen Timer – No one can have too many kitchen timers!
- Cooking Thermometer – This includes thermometers for measuring candy temperatures. Candy often requires very specific temperatures to turn out correctly. Also meat thermometers are important for making sure your meats are cooked to the proper temperature and thus are safe to eat.
- Wooden Spoons Set – Wooden spoons are inexpensive and they protect your pots and pans from scratching.
- Kitchen Towel Set – One can't have too many kitchen towels. Seasonal is one way to go if your mom already owns “plenty” of towels.
- A Good Basic Cookbook – My favorite basic cookbooks are by Betty Crocker and Better Homes and Gardens.
- Tongs – I used the thin grab tongs growing up. I was in heaven once I discovered the clam grabbing tongs. They are much more effective at picking up meats and such.
- Pizza Pan – Having a pizza pan in-house will make it easier to throw in a quick pizza on a busy night, or you can use it for your homemade pizzas.
- Pie Holder – (Or cake holder). Pie and cake holders are designed to keep your pies and cakes fresh. Many types are available for carrying out of the house for a party or get-together as well.
- Spice Set – If the new mom is just starting out, you can purchase a spice set with the actual spices included.
- Breakfast Sandwich Maker – This little gadget is just one example of many convenient gadgets available today, including waffle irons, panini makers, simple griddles for making pancakes, indoor barbecues, etc.
- Coffee Machine – A good coffee machine will last a long time. And new moms often need the extra caffeine to get through the day.
- Standing Blender – For making larger recipe smoothies and shakes, pureeing vegetables and more.
So, there you have it. 25 gifts a new mom will love. This is just a few ideas I found to help you with your shopping for the new mom in your life. If you found this list helpful, please share it with your friends. 🙂