Ready for reading is a complete, thorough course, from beginning to end, and includes the following course objectives:
Ready for Reading Phonics Course Objectives:
Recognize and name all letters of the alphabet.
Learn initial consonant and short vowel sounds for all 26 letters of the alphabet.
Begin reading words with short vowel letter patterns and consonant blends.
Master 20 sight words.
Ready for Reading Phonics is divided into the following 9 sections:
1) Lesson Plans: Each week a letter of the alphabet is introduced and a flow
of activities is suggested. Alphabet (saying letters), Sounds, Tactile ideas such as clay and sand.
2) Thematic Units: A list of thematic unit ideas for each letter. For example, incorporating other subjects (besides reading, math, writing). This is a great time to pick something your child is interested in!
Jen gives a list of possible subjects. For example, animal types, insect types, fruit types, and tons more.
3) Reading Tips: Ideas for guiding your child and promoting reading in your
4) Assessment Forms: Help with keeping track of letter and sight word mastery.
5) Alphabet Strips: Correspond to flashcards and provide guidance during
reading and writing lessons.
6) Flashcards: All 26 letters, both capital and lowercase. Corresponding
sound/picture card for each letter (available in black+white and color). 100
sight word cards.
7) Worksheets: Each letter of the alphabet has 4 corresponding worksheets.
- Circle the letters
- Write the letters
- Color the beginning sound picture
- Match the upper and lowercase letters
HELP WITH IDENTIFYING THE LETTERS
Different variants of each letter to help reduce confusion when seeing letters in the “real” world. For example, the letters are shown with different font types, sizes, with upper and lowercase as well.
LOTS OF COLORING AND PICTURES FOR VISUAL LEARNERS
LOTS OF WRITING PRACTICE!
8) Games: 8 ORIGINAL games for fun practice, plus ideas for creating and incorporating
more games and play into your lessons.
ALL THE GRAPHICS YOU NEED TO PRINT AND CREATE YOUR OWN GAME BOARDS.
9) Readers: 10 engaging ORGINAL beginning readers are provided so children can
begin reading and experiencing success!
Flexible lesson plans provide a suggested sequence of letter introductions. However, if you prefer to teach the letters in alphabetical order, or present letters in context of a thematic unit, please feel free to do so!
Alphabet Strips to print and attach to your child’s desk or other work area.
Alphabet and sight word knowledge sheet records so you can keep track of which letters you child knows.
NOTE: You can use the Ready for Reading Phonics curriculum with everyone in your household. And Since it’s a printable, this means you can print more than one copy as needed. This will save you money when compared to traditional workbooks, which usually require you to purchase a separate workbook for each child.
You will have the ability to print out a color copy or a black and white copy if you prefer to not use color ink. The Ready for Reading Phonics curriculum is available through Teachable.com and Jennifer Merckling has created videotaped step-by-step instructions to help you set the course up and be ready to roll.
And don’t forget to use the code save20 to receive 20% off. But hurry, you don’t want to miss this limited time offer.
Other things you might be interested in (within this site):